Sunday, August 29, 2010

Zombies and bees

Okay, I know this sounds off topic and I suppose it is, but you might as well know I’m a movie lover, and enjoy horror flicks plus I read almost anything I can get my hands on so you may get some book and movie reviews in this blog at times. I found a website which gave a ‘favorite’ list of zombie movies and some of them I hadn’t heard of so I got my hands on several of them and started watching them. One – Dead Alive – a New Zealand film from the 80′s, I had seen but it was very campy and funny so I watched it again.

Now the rest of them were a very big disappointment. Obviously the website owner didn’t have a lot of ‘taste’ in his Zombie movies! I watched 4 of them so far and one was so bad, I just gave up and went on to the next one. Had a catchy title but sure didn’t live up to its promise – Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things. Then I watched Zombie Flesh Eaters. Hmmm, weird title – aren’t all zombies supposed to be flesh eaters? It wasn’t great but it was watchable. Just a quick note – my standards might not be as high as yours so don’t take that as a recommendation. I don’t get regular tv so I watch dvds instead for my entertainment and so I tend to watch anything that is even remotely watchable. The best scene was early on in the movie where a zombie was under water ( they don’t have to breathe right, so they can be underwater forever?) and the zombie fought and bit a shark! The shark lost the fight – sorry, don’t think even a zombie is going to be a match for a shark! And then, altho the shark was definitely bitten, they ignored it and went on to show plenty of the human zombies eating guts and their victims spurting fountains of blood. So….what happened with the shark? Did it turn into a zombie? Are there now thousands of zombie sharks and fish swimming around in the ocean? Who knows….there was a chance to explore new and unusual zombie creations and they ignored it – shame on them. LOL

The last one I watched Dead Meat….I got to watch zombie cows! It’s set in Ireland so the scenery was pretty tho. Yes,it’s true, zombie cows! Totally hilarious altho I don’t think that was their intentions. Supposedly the cows contracted Mad Cow disease and turned into zombie cows and passed it to the humans. Talk about silly! Unless you want to watch it for the zombie cows, I’d give it a pass – JMHO!!

I guess nothing can surpass Romero’s zombie movies – they are still classic and top drawer in my book! And if you like zombie films – well I’m sure you already know about Romero’s films but I might recommend a British series called Dead Set? Interesting one and altho in a way, the Resident Evil series isn’t exactly a zombie movie – they are great in my book – the 4th in the series will be out in September and I’m looking forward to its debut! Dead Snow isn’t bad altho it’s quite slow in the beginning. In case you don’t know, I like sarcastic or humorous zombie movies the best – assuming it’s a decent quality. How about Zombieland? Wasn’t it great? And let’s not forget the whole 28 days series…pretty good! And for funny – try Fido – guaranteed to give you a smile. The absolute best tho for funny is Shawn of the Dead – primo zombie film! Okay – gonna shut up for now on Zombie flicks One of these days we’ll have to discuss vampire flicks too!

Now for the bees – evidently there was a swarm near the house as I haven’t had a bee problem at all this year – I’m allergic to their stings as I nearly died from hundreds of bee stings as a very young girl. So bees and I are not on the best of terms but over the years I’ve managed to learn to live with them – as long as they don’t buzz me and move along somewhere else. Unfortunately there was about a dozen in the house (they came in thru the cat door I think?) and I could not convince them to go out the front door at all – so me and my trusty flyswatter took care of the matter. I have no idea why they wanted to keep buzzing all over me – I do not have on any perfume and I doubt that it’s because I’m so ‘sweet’ – but just can’t take a chance on getting stung so they had to go. Shut the house up – including the cat door – and waited them out – now three hours later, they appear to have moved on and the cat door is opened again – which definitely pleased the cats. And hopefully there will be no more bees for a while — or at least there won’t be any more that think they want to buzz and land on me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment